H2Oh! 25 of the best, most refreshing water facts
We had a splashing time satisfying your thirst for some fun and surprising water facts. Dive in below!
water facts to ‘wet’ your appetite
- During your lifetime you’ll drink around 87,000 litres of water – a third of an Olympic-sized swimming pool – and use another 1.7 million litres taking your daily shower.
- A jellyfish and cucumber are both 95 per cent water.
- Flying by plane from Adelaide to Sydney uses up around 4000 litres of water for every passenger.
- Over 3,000 litres of water evaporate a month from a swimming pool.
- Refilling your BIBO glass water bottle 1,740 times costs less than buying a single plastic bottle of water.
- A third of what the world spends on bottled water in one year could pay for projects providing water to every single person in need.
- Over 25,000 litres is required to grow a day’s food for a family of four.
- Water is blue in colour. If you place a full glass in front of a white background, you can see for yourself.
water facts by numbers
9. 1.5 trillion: Amount of water in litres used by Americans every single day – that’s three times the volume of water in Sydney Harbour.
10. 855: Cost in Aussie dollars of one litre of the world’s most expensive bottled waters – Fillico Jewellery Water from Kobe in Japan – which launched in 2005 to appeal to Hollywood celebrities.
11. 200 million: Hours that women in the Third World spend every day on collecting water for their families.
12. 7: Maximum days a human can survive without water.
13. 4: Time in months that the average Australian spends waiting for the kettle to boil. Not so for BIBO Water Bar owners where boiling water is instantly on tap!
14. 3.5: Number of planet Earths that would be needed if everyone consumed the same amount of water as Australians and Europeans do currently.
15. 1050: The length of the side of a cube in kilometres which could hold all the water on the planet.
say what? water facts
16. There is exactly the same amount of water on Earth today as there was millions of years ago.
17. We exhale just over one cup of water every day.
18. It takes five times as much water to hand wash plates and cutlery than it does using a dishwasher.
19. If all the water in the world could fit in a 4 litre bowl, only one tablespoonful of that would be fresh water available to humans.
20. Over a 100-year period, a water molecule will spend 98 years in the ocean, 20 months as ice, two weeks in lakes and rivers, and less than a week in the atmosphere.
foodie water facts
Here’s how many litres of water it takes to produce these items:
21. Half a kilo of beef = 8178
22. Litre of wine = 1008
23. Slice of bread = 50
24. Kilo of chocolate = 6340
25. Litre of cow’s milk = 1000
more from BIBO
- What your favourite BIBO colour says about you
- Easy recipes for kids
- Staying safe as you return to work after lockdown
- Yummy hot drinks for winter to keep you cosy
- Everything you need to know about coronavirus COVID-19
- The shocking reason why you should ditch plastic water bottles now!
- How much water should I drink every day?
- How a BIBO Water bar saves you money (and the environment)
- Kitchen safety special: how to keep your kids safe
- Easy tips to stay hydrated for busy new mums
There’s no better way to cool down on a sweltering day than by sipping a refreshing summer drink. Try our pick of the best summer cocktail recipes.
We gulp it, dive into it, wash with it and freeze it. But how much do you really know about water? See if you sink or swim in our fun water quiz!
Nothing makes a warm, balmy evening complete more than a summer cocktail poured over ice as the last of the sun’s rays disappear. Enjoy!